Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Studio Shots with my Favourite Models


With hockey (finally) on hiatus for the summer and a couple of weeks before my next race, I've been trying to stretch my horizons a bit and take shots that need a bit more preparation before hand.

In the rink and at the race track, it's pretty much find a good spot that I like, get the camera settings right and blast away at whatever catches my eye. But I've been reading and watching a lot on photographers that are good at working with light. Joe McNally is an absolute master at it. I picked up his book "The Hot Shoe Diaries" and now believe that it is possible to make stunning photos with small strobes.

Anyway, I've been putting together a make-shift studio in the basement that hopefully before the summer ends will become a more permanent version and started using some of the tricks that I learned to make some 'studio' type shots.



Here are some of the ones I like the best...





This little beauty is my wonderful (and very patient) daughter Taylor. It's great to have a model living right in the house. She isn't really a model but we definitely treat her like one.
The other beauty is my charming (and equally patient) wife Shelley.


These were all shot with a Nikon D700 with a 24-70 mm 2.8 or 70-200 2.8 in the studio using one SB-800 for light shot into a bunch of different diffusers. The shots on black had the SB-800 shooting into a 4'x3' piece of white foamboard (slightly camera right) and a silver reflector on camera left to bounce some of the light back into the shot. I used the 70-200 on those shots. For the shots with the white/grey background, I shot the SB-800 through an umbrella (camera right) and used the silver reflector to splash a bit of light back in.

That's it for now. More to come.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Aaron,
    Just wanted to stop by and tell you that how amazing these shots are. You have a beautiful family along with a beautiful soul. I have seen some of your past action shots, wow.
    I didnt make it to your book release but I will pick up a copy as I am an avid reader.
    Very happy for you and Shelley. Take care and lets keep this site rolling. Looking forward to some great pics..
    ps when you get a min , maybe you can show me how to set up a site like this for my paintings. Better yet, how about you photogragh them and we can do this site thing together... lol
    take care Bell family

    longtime friend
    juls

    ReplyDelete